English Department Staff
During their four years in high school students in the English department will learn to:
- read, write, speak, listen, and view to construct meaning from varied texts;
- read and respond thoughtfully to written, oral, and visual texts;
- speak and write English proficiently;
- use language arts to create written, oral, and visual texts;
- choose and apply appropriate strategies that enhance fluent and proficient communications;
- understand and appreciate texts from many historical periods and cultures;
- employ the language arts for lifelong learning, work, and enjoyment.
English courses are presented on three levels:
AP and honors courses designed for students who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in English. Demonstrated achievement and instructor recommendation are prerequisites to enrollment.
Courses which require demonstration of higher level thinking skills, stress the ability to work independently and are the upper level of a course sequence.
Courses designed at a grade-appropriate level that require students to utilize study habits, demonstrate organization, and complete assignments and other course requirements.
- English I G
- English II G
- English III G
- English I C
- English II C
- English III C
- English I H
- English II H
- English III H
- AP English Language and Composition
- Senior Seminar
- AP Literature and Composition
- Writing Workshop
- Journalism and Media Literacy
- Short Fiction
- Literature through Film
- Shakespeare Seminar
- World Literature
- Poetry Seminar