Regional School District No. 7 is composed of four rural-suburban towns: Barkhamsted, Colebrook, New Hartford and Norfolk. The district, consisting of 157 square miles, is located twenty miles west of Hartford and has a population of approximately 12,700.
NORTHWESTERN HIGH SCHOOL
Northwestern Regional High School is a comprehensive public school which operated under a house plan. Opened in September, 1958, the school is accredited by the New England Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges. The school campus of 42 acres includes two 9-12 Houses. Enrollment in grades 9-12 is currently 749. Ninety five percent of the professional staff have a masters degree or equivalent.The average class size in the academic program is 20. Students in grade ten in Connecticut public schools participate in a mastery test (Connecticut Academic Performance Test)developed by the State Department of Education.
PROGRAM & OFFERINGS
The school curriculum is both flexible and encompassing, offering numerous one-semester, as well as full-year courses at intriductory through advanced levels. The school operates on a fully rotating schedule which includes a 67 minute period for each class once every seven days, with the remaining periods being 43 minutes in duration. Classes meet five times weekly for thirty-six weeks per one credit course: 1/2 credit is given for a one-semester subject and a 1/4 credit for each year of physical education/health. Marking periods are every 9 weeks. Laboratory work is required in the college preparatory sciences as well as in German, French, and Spanish. The school also has an Agricultural Education Program.
NORTHWESTERN MIDDLE SCHOOL
The staff at Northwestern Middle School is comprised of dedicated professionals, many with long tenure at the school. We are complimented by a high-quality student body that works hard to achieve in the classroom and are also known for their exceptional level of community service. We participate in programs that provide Turkey Baskets for families at Thanksgiving, Holiday Angels at Christmas, and support programs for our troops. Northwestern Middle School is dedicated to an outstanding academic and student activity program. Please stop in for one of our programs or call us with any questions you may have.
STRATEGIC SCHOOL PROFILE
In accordance with Title III of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) of 2010, Northwestern Regional School District no.7 is taking steps to ensure that it’s website, NWR7.com, is accessible and compliant with the standards as set forth by the World Wide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0 AA). NWR7 is continually working to ensure equal digital access to all members of the community.
If you have any questions or concerns with the content or accessibility of the site NWR7.com, please contact us at email@example.com. Thank you.
- The Homepage
News from the Hill
Highlanders Helping Highlanders Care Closet
Northwestern Junior Nora Sweeney has created a Care Closet for the students of Northwestern as her Capstone/Kindness in Motion Project. The purpose of the Care Closet is to help Highlanders that may be in need of clothing or health & beauty products. The Care Closet is accepting donations of items in room 303. Students in need of items can be connected through their school counselors or by emailing Highlanders Helping Highlanders at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Counseling Department News
- College Application Deadlines: The deadline to turn in your purple transcript request form to your school counselor is (at least) 2 weeks (10 school days - holidays and weekends do not count) prior to the college application deadline. If you have a November 1st deadline please turn your form in as soon as possible as the deadline has passed. Please follow the following table for turning in your transcript request forms:
College Application Deadline
Deadline to turn in Transcript Request Form
(early deadline due to winter break)
- The National Association for Women in Construction (NAWIC) Founders' Scholarship Foundation awards over $100,000 to worthy recipients in construction-related programs. Award amounts range from $500 to $2,500. Some local chapters award scholarships as well. For scholarship criteria and more information please click on the following link: NAWIC Scholarships.
- Imagine Nation Scholarships (for Career/Technical Schools) - The Imagine America Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing career education in America by providing scholarship programs, elevating public awareness of the vital role of career colleges, conducting research, and honoring the achievements of professionals and students involved in career education. Approximately 400 schools participate in the Imagine America Scholarship and Award Programs, and you could be eligible to receive a scholarship or award. IAF provides high school scholarships for graduating seniors, scholarships for adults and grants for military.
- The Greenwoods Scholarship application is now available online: http://www.gsfct.org/. The Greenwoods foundation awarded over $100,000 to local students last year. Just one application makes you eligible for many scholarship opportunities. The deadline is February 18th.
- College Board’s Big Future Scholarship Search - Find scholarships, other financial aid and internships from more than 2,200 programs, totaling nearly $6 billion. Enter as much information as possible to find the most matches. Scholarship information is based on the College Board's Annual Survey of Financial Aid Programs.
Scholarship Opportunity for Juniors Only:
- The Coolidge Scholarship (click on link for more information) is an annually awarded, full-ride, presidential scholarship that covers a student’s tuition, room, board, and expenses for four years of undergraduate study. The Coolidge may be used by recipients at any accredited college or university in the United States. Anyone of any background, pursuing any academic discipline of study, may apply to this non-partisan, need-blind, program. The 2022 application deadline will be January 19, 2022 at 5:00 PM eastern time. Please note the time zone. All application materials, including both letters of recommendation must be submitted by the deadline. Click on this link for the selection criteria. Please see Mrs. Vacila next to the College & Career Center for help with the scholarship.
Athletic Department News
2021-22 Northwestern All-Stars
Katherine Beauchene Also All-State
Dante Bottalico Also All-State and All New England (Only second Northwestern soccer player ever to be All New England)
RaeLynn Perregaux Also Second Team All-State
All Pequot conference
Fred Camp (Class M All-State)
Senior Portrait Information
SENIORS & Parents of Seniors: If you have not yet done so, this is a reminder to choose your senior portrait by January 1, 2022. If you fail to choose your preferred portrait, Prestige Portraits selects your portrait by default. Portraits for the yearbook must be in vertical format. Specific directions on how to select your portrait of choice can be found on the Senior Yearbook Google Classroom under Yearbook Guidelines (first section of page 2).
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Linda McCartney at email@example.com.
Northwestern Highlanders Sideline Store
Check out our Northwestern Highlanders Sideline Store to purchase Northwestern apparel, accessories, signs and decals! You have the opportunity to personalize items as well as change colors and designs. When you make a purchase from the online store, the items are shipped directly to you!
Our Sideline Store is offering 20% off any order of $90 or more when you use the code: DEC21. The deal ends at 12/31 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Happy shopping...and Go Highlanders! https://sideline.bsnsports.
- The Homepage
- The Homepage
- The Homepage
- The Homepage