Mission and Expectations
Middle School Student Handbook 2017-2018
School CMT School Performance can be found at www.ctreports.com.
Northwestern Middle School, a partnership of school, family, and community, is committed to providing a quality learning environment dedicated to fostering life-long intellectual achievement and social and personal growth.
We believe a quality learning environment:
- Responds to the specific developmental needs of this age group;
- Promotes growth through exploration, reflection and measurable goals;
- Challenges all students to reach their full potential;
- Encourages all students to be contributing citizens in a changing society;
- Is a safe and secure place for all children to grow and learn.
Northwestern Regional Middle School students will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective literacy and communication skills through reading, writing, speaking, listening and viewing;
- Appreciate, create, and participate in visual and performing art forms and demonstrate the importance of the arts in expressing the human experience;
- Use a variety of technology and informational resources to gather and synthesize data;
- Utilize problem solving skills;
- Demonstrate an understanding of democratic values in our society;
- Acquire a foundation of personal health and physical activity skills important for promoting a healthy lifestyle.
SOCIAL AND CIVIC EXPECTATIONS
Northwestern Regional Middle School students will:
- Demonstrate respect for all members of the Northwestern community.
- Demonstrate the rights and responsibilities of a democratic society;
- Apply practices of citizenship to the students’ community, nation, and world;
- Develop attitudes of respect and sensitivity towards human and cultural differences;
- Contribute to the community in a positive manner, forming a partnership in education.